Recipe: Quick Weeknight Tomato Sauce–Pairs with Blackbird
This quick and easy homemade pasta sauce has the deep flavor of something you simmered all day! It pairs beautifully with our Blackbird Red Wine—the acidity of the tomatoes and the earthiness of the herbs match the flavors in the wine.
Quick Weeknight Tomato Sauce serves 4
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- ¼ c. grated onion (Keep the tissues handy, but grating helps it cook faster and have more complex flavor. Use a cheese grater.)
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. sugar
- 2 T. chopped fresh basil
- 1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pasta of your choice, cooked per package instructions
- grated parmesan or romano cheese
Directions: Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, oregano and ½ tsp. salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes and sugar, bring to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Off heat, stir in basil and oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add sauce to pasta and toss well to coat. Garnish with grated cheese.