Recipe: Chickpea, Mint and Parsley Spread–Pairs with Dry Riesling or Dry Rose
February 18, 2019– We served this spread (which is basically a homemade hummus) at our Winter Winemaker Seminar last weekend. So many people asked us for the recipe that we’re sharing it here. It pairs wonderfully with Riesling. Bon appetit!
Chickpea, Mint & Parsley Spread
Fresh herbs and vegetables are the focal point of this Greek-inspired meal that includes chickpea spread on pita.
- Prep: 10 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 4 small garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 4 warmed pitas, for serving
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool 15 minutes.
- Add chickpea mixture, mint, parsley, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor, season with pepper, and puree. With machine running, add remaining 1/4 cup oil in a slow, steady stream, mixing until emulsified. Transfer to a serving bowl, and drizzle with oil. Serve with pitas.